Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Banana-Oat Breakfast Bars

Need a quick grab-n-go breakfast that you don't feel guilty about eating?  Sweetened slightly with natural ingredients, containing almost no fat, and overflowing with all the health benefits of oatmeal, you can feel good about eating these bars for breakfast (or packing in a lunch or serving for an after-school or late-night snack).  Say good morning to these Banana-Oat Breakfast Bars! 

I made these when the bananas on my counter were super-speckled and crying to be used in a baked good.  I searched the internet, used lots of different recipes for inspiration, and ended up with a great breakfast bar.   

Banana-Oat Breakfast Bars
Yield: 12 bars
 

Ingredients:
  • 2 c Whole Oat Flour (make your own by blending old-fashioned oats in a blender until they resemble flour)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 medium-sized, ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 c honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 c. chopped nuts (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
  2. Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients, except nuts and mix well.
  4. Stir in nuts.
  5. Pour into pan and bake 15-20 minutes until center is done. Let cool before cutting.

1 comment:

  1. Nutrition Facts:
    Per Serving: 160 calories, 34 carbs, 4 fat, 5 protein, 18 sugar

    ReplyDelete