Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Comfort Food Lightens Up

image

I love meatloaf! It has such an undesirable name, but it is definitely on my list of favorite comfort foods. I made meatloaf for Sunday dinner, but mine was a lighter version and a very tasty one at that! I portioned out the meatloaf mixture into several mini loaves for quicker cooking. I also used a pound of lean ground turkey instead of the normal full fat ground beef. I loaded up on whole grains as I used 2 slices of whole wheat bread pulled into crumbs and a half cup of rolled oats as filler. Then I seasoned with McCormick steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, a squirt of ketchup , and dried parsley. I never use a recipe when I'm making meatloaf, or meatballs for that matter. I just kind of throw it all together, let the egg do the binding, and bake. As long as there's enough seasoning on the meat, it always turns out good. I slathered ketchup on top of the little mini meatloaf before I baked it, but I don't always do that. It just sounded good to me this time.

My mom joined our family for our meatloaf dinner. She raved about how the meatloaf was to die for. Also, the next day, both my children were asking for meatloaf leftovers at lunch time. That never happens. Hardly ever does any member of my family besides myself welcome leftovers. So I guess that is a true testament that this one was a winner!

The mini turkey meatloaf was served with a side of broiled asparagus, steamed sweet potato, and sliced shoyu cucumbers. Mmmmmmmmm...  Look for recipes for these side dishes in another blog post.

image

No comments:

Post a Comment