Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Hawaiian Haystacks

image

When I was in elementary school, I was served a meal in the school cafeteria that was foreign to me, it was referred to as Hawaiian Haystacks.  I'm pretty sure its a Utah thing because I happen to be of Hawaiian descent, and as far as I know, there is no such meal found originating in the islands. I'm assuming because it has pineapple on it is why it is associated with Hawaii. But authentically Hawaiian or not, these haystacks are winners in the land and culture I grew up in, that is to say, the salty desert at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, where the closest thing we have to tropical Hawaii is sand and these haystacks. And I'm a fan. And even better, my husband is a fan too.

Now let's get down to the nitty gritty. Hawaiian Haystacks have many variations, but the basics are as follows: a bed of rice, chicken gravy, grated cheese, pineapple tidbits, and other toppings. Speaking of those other toppings, we like to have sweet peas, diced tomatoes, green onions, chopped chicken, crispy chow mein noodles, and shredded coconut.  Sometimes we'll have shredded carrots or diced peppers or steamed veggies. You get the gist, its a haystack of whatever you have on hand.  It's a pretty easy pantry-pull-together/leftovers-use-up kind of meal.

Our heart healthier version we had last night features a cholesterol-friendly foundation of brown rice and full-flavored homemade gravy (shhh...very low fat).  It was so yummy!  My 8 year old daughter even asked if she could have a cup of gravy for soup.

To make your own lowfat full-flavored chicken gravy, use my method.  Dissolve a quarter cup or so of flour into a cup of chicken broth simmering on the stove. Use a whisk to help it along. The mixture should be thick and pasty.  If you need to, add a little more flour because this mixture should be thick.  I used home-ground oat flour, but you can use whatever you have on hand. Cook on medium high heat for 30 seconds or so, then add slowly 1 cup of milk while whisking the paste into the liquid. you just made bechamel sauce without fat. Let it simmer to thicken up to a good gravy consistency. Season your gravy, with salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley, you know, just sprinkle seasonings to your heart's content. That's it. Creamy chicken gravy, perfect for healthier Hawaiian Haystacks.

" Hawaiians and haystacks were meant to be together."
  -Anonymous. Or was it Confucius? Okay, I just made that one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment