Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Salted Toasted Rolled Oats

image

I was reading online again for more creative ways to eat oatmeal. I had seen that you can toast your oatmeal under the broiler to give it a more almost-granola like consistency. I like granola, but I gotta do without the loads of fat and sugar in traditional granola, so I took a more meager approach to flavoring the oats . And I wanted to add salty element into it, since I'm supposed to eat more salt, so I sprinkled Real Salt all over the oats before I put it under the broiler.

Here's the recipe-

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon organic maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon melted butter
  • a sprinkling of Real Salt

Combine all the ingredients and put in a pie tin. Put under a broiler for about 2 minutes. The oats should look lightly toasted.

On the internet they use the toasted mixture and just combined it with milk and microwaved it to make oatmeal. I thought that I would take a different approach and sprinkle it over low fat vanilla yogurt to make a parfait. It was yummy. The oats gave a salty nuttiness to the parfait. The parfait I made used half a cup of low-fat yogurt, a quarter cup of the toasted oats, and a quarter cup of slightly-thawed frozen blueberries.

image

image

Oh yeah! I almost forgot to tell you that I sprinkled in a good helping of ground cinnamon. Not only is that spice great for regulating your blood sugar levels, but it is also been proven to help lower your cholesterol. Sounds like a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment