Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Shredded Beef Soft Tacos With A Squeeze Of Lime

image

These soft tacos where exactly what I needed to fill my craving for going out to a Mexican restaurant. Since I made these at home I had complete control over the quality and quantity of the ingredients I used, and these tacos were full of all those Mexican flavors that I was craving!

A few weeks ago, my brother came to visit with his family and they brought with them a huge 15 pound beef roast. We cut that huge chunk of meat into smaller roast portions, seasoned them, put them in my 2 large crockpots for the whole day on low.   What we were left with was succulent shredded beef. We ate that beef for many meals, but there was still so much left over that I decided to portion the meat in approximately 1 pound portions and slide them into my freezer for use in other meals.

When it was time to make this meal of shredded beef soft tacos, all I did was remove the frozen meat from the freezer, put it in a large saucepan with beef broth halfway up the side of the meat, and simmer it on low until it resembled shredded beef again. Then I added a packet of taco seasoning, which I always have on hand, and a small can of diced green chilies, and let it simmer until it thickened up, maybe 10 minutes.
That's it. Served on corn tortillas with a little cilantro, green onion, tomato, and a squeeze of lime, these were divine. I even added some Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream, but that's completely optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment