Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Truth About Greek Yogurt as a Mayonnaise Substitute

image

So the truth is... They're two different beasts, or maybe I should say too different beasts. Mayonnaise is creamy, smooth, and fatty. Yogurt, and especially Greek yogurt, is creamy,  smooth, and sour. No offense Greek yogurt, but sour is not exactly a good substitute for fatty all the time, like nutritionists and low-fat food eaters try to preach. Simply put, sometimes you want fatty and sour just doesn't satisfy.  Sour things take over other flavors or change the flavor profile completely. Sometimes that's good and welcomed. Other times you just don't feel like sour. That is the conclusion I came to tonight when I made deviled eggs using Greek yogurt as a substitute for mayonnaise.  They were, eh.

Now, in the defense of nonfat Greek yogurt, I have enjoyed it as a substitute for sour cream. It was really yummy on my black bean and cheese burrito that you may remember from one of my past posts. In small amounts, the tangy yogurt flavor does not dominate.  I've also added it into some of my baking, to replace some of the fat, and it does a decent job. I made a quick bread using yogurt in the place of oil and I liked the finish product, my hubby noticed that the bread taste differently, but he still liked it too. So, nonfat Greek yogurt, not all is lost, you have your place in the world, and I think I'll hang on to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment