Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Black Bean and Cheddar Smothered Burritos

image
My family loved this recipe that I created.  So, let the recipe be written!  Behold! The healthy black bean and cheddar smothered burrito with a side of salty corn and sautéed spinach with a hint of garlic.

Black Bean and Cheddar Smothered Burritos
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 c. water
  • dash of cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, and a teensy bit of cayenne pepper
  • 1/3 c. shredded medium cheddar cheese and another 1/3 c for topping
  • 6 10-inch, fiber-rich, whole wheat tortillas

Preheat oven to 375.  In a medium skillet over medium-hi heat, combine the onion, beans, water, and spices.  Cook until onion is tender, then add 1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese and a little more water if you need so that it makes a bit of sauce.  Put a little filling into each tortilla and roll up, then line them up in a 9x9 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  Spread any remaining filling over the top of the burritos and top with the rest of the 1/3 c. cheese.  Bake in the oven until cheese is melted.  Serve with a spoonful of greek yogurt, a squirt of fresh lime juice, and sliced pickled jalapenos, if you like.  Makes 6 burritos.

I believe the secret to making these healthy burritos taste good is in the cheese.  I used full fat medium cheddar cheese because low-fat cheddar tastes like wet cardboard.  And it's okay to have some cheese as long as you budget for it.  For each burrito, there is approximately 6 grams of fat (the fat coming from the cheese and tortillas).  For dinner, I budget 10-15 grams of fat, so this burrito fits right in!  Use a drizzle of good quality olive oil to saute a side of spinach in, and you'll be getting your "good fats" in too.

A note on the tortillas...
I used fiber-rich whole wheat tortillas which I thought might taste "healthy" and make my family want to excuse themselves from the table early, but I was pleasantly surprised that the "healthy tortillas" actually tasted good.  It's a plus to have whole grains in your diet if you have high cholesterol, so mark up a win for these tortillas.  My hubby and older daughter even wanted seconds. Seconds of healthy food?  Heck to the yes!  Dinner tonight was officially a successful, tasty, and healthy meal.  

P.S. That sour cream is not sour cream, it's nonfat Greek yogurt and although I don't like the stuff on its own, used in small portions it has served as a nice substitute for sour cream and adding a creamy element to salad dressing. It's thick and has 20 grams of protein per cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment