Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Zonya's Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

image

Every Monday night our family gathers together for family home evening. We always have a good time and we always have some spiritual nourishment and dessert afterward.  Since being more conscious of the fat I've been consuming, I have not bought butter for a couple weeks.  I had to find a dessert that didn't require butter. That's when I remembered Zonia's Health Bites, a PBS television show that I used to watch when my children were babies. I looked up her website and sure enough she had healthy dessert recipes, one of which stood out to me as something my family would be excited to eat.  I set to work making chocolate chip cookie bars . This recipe substituted out all of the fat normally found in cookie bars by using applesauce and chocolate pudding mix. I'm always leery about healthy dessert because they don't usually taste very good, so I only made half a recipe, you know, just in case it didn't turn out.

Although I couldn't have any of this dessert because I'm avoiding chocolate and sugar, my family did try it. The fact that the children were begging for seconds makes this officially a winner healthy dessert. My husband didn't think that they tasted anything like chocolate chip cookies, however that didn't stop him from eating 5 bars. So I guess it is a real win.  I do think that the title is somewhat misleading because these "bars," as you can tell from the picture, are more like cake then a cookie. So rename this if you will, low fat chocolate cake. However if it was named that I probably wouldn't have tried to make it for my family home evening dessert. So whatever! It is impressive that per serving this only has 2 grams of fat.

If you want the recipe or others like it, follow the link below to Zonya's website.

Zonya's Healthy Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment