Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Enjoying Eating Out On A Low-Fat Budget

image
One of our favorite places to eat out is at Pelican Cafe in Roosevelt, Utah. The food is tasty, the prices are reasonable and the portions are giant. It's a good value, but definitely not the place you would think of for low fat options. Fried chicken strips dipped in ranch? Not for me, partner. How about some mac and cheese bites, breaded, and deep fried? *sigh* No can do. A towering stack of fries with creamy fry sauce for dipping? YUM, but sorry it doesn't fit in with my low-fat budget.
image
Lucky for me, there was salad on the menu!  I ordered their grilled chicken salad, hold the shredded cheese and croutons, dressing on the side. When the salad came, it was all-fancied up with sliced mushrooms, diced onions, diced bell pepper, diced tomato, diced ham bits, and a juicy grilled chicken breast sliced into strips, all this laid atop a giant bed of crispy iceberg lettuce with a bit of carrot for color and crunch. It came with probably a quarter cup of ranch on the side.  I tossed the salad with about 2 tablespoons of ranch. Then I sprinkled it liberally with salt and pepper. I ate it until I was filled, and happily, half of the salad still remained.  Looks like I have dinner for tonight too! 
image
Like I said before, the portions at Pelican Cafe are quite large. They have this famous cinnamon roll.  Yeah, it's bigger than your head. I believe it is baked in at 9 inch cake pan. Then it is smeared with sweet frosting and drizzled with melted butter!  I had to say no to that one too... Except 1 small bite :-)
image

No comments:

Post a Comment