Eat Low-Fat Food

Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and I love tasty (and fatty) food (Really, who doesn't?)! I own my love for the lards of life, but I budget my fats daily or else I easily overspend. By living a low-fat lifestyle, I hope to develop super powers (or something comparable would suite me just fine). At the very least, I hope my cholesterol levels will be thanking me as I gracefully progress through the ages and stages of life. Follow me on my eating journey to a healthier lifestyle through delicious low-fat food.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Turkey Meatballs I Can Eat

image
I had a hankering for my dads sweet and sour meatballs, but the meatballs at the store are too high in fat to justify eating. I decided I would make my own meatballs using ground turkey which afforded me the opportunity to actually eat the dinner I was craving.
I didn't follow a recipe, just made it up as I went along. It turned out pretty good and my kids liked the meatballs too. Plus, I was tricky and added a filler ingredient- one cup of quick oats. My heart and cholesterol levels should like that!
I'll try to recall how I made these particular meatballs.  Here are the ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey,
2 slices whole wheat bread made into crumbs,
1 cup quick oats,
1 tablespoon dried parsley,
1 teaspoon ground cumin,
1 teaspoon paprika,
1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning,
a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce,
2 egg whites,
a shake of liquid smoke
I mixed it all up with my hands just like I was making meatloaf, then I used a golfball-sized cookie scooper to form the meatballs and cooked them for 12 minutes in a 375 degree oven. 
This made about 24 golfball-sized meatballs, equaling just over 1 gram of fat per meatball. Now that's something I can eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment